Wednesday, August 24, 2011

"Million Dollar Find"

Today's piece, "Million Dollar Find" comes from the journal r.kv.r.y. All of the pieces in the journal focus on the theme of recovery. According to the submission guidelines, the editors, "interpret recovery broadly: grief, war, exile, divorce, abuse, bigotry, illness, injury, addiction, loss of innocence, and any other topic where recovery presents itself. Recovery may be early stage, middle stage, late stage, or no stage. Failure and doubt are also part of recovery. We will not define recovery as necessarily requiring success."

I really like the idea of this journal because it's so hopeful. I really like this particular story because the writing got my attention.

The story begins like this: "Archie Mezinis was a walker — a boardwalk stroller, a country road rambler, a city street seeker." I really like how the story defines the specificity of the main character's walking so clearly.

The setting of the story is the flea market in Englishtown, New Jersey.


Archie, who knows a good find when he sees one, seems like he would fit in on the popular show Storage Wars. According to the story, "His practiced eye could spot a three-inch Meissen figurine and know it really was Japanese, or a Murano cigarette tin worth twice the asking price now that smoking was socially hazardous. "

On this particular day, Archie finds something especially interesting. Did you enjoy this story as well? If so, why?


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the story. Your commentary helped me interpret it ~ it is very context specific, once you remember at the end that you're seeing in r.kv.r.y, and since you primed my reading with all the possible forms of recovery that a story might fit into.

    Interesting, how when you place a story in context, it can alter its focus. It might have been about singles meeting or collecting or another topic, and had I been primed to look for a theme, I might have read it differently.

    So, your blog post teaches a lesson in framing and how the venue in which a story appears may slant the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the story differently once I knew more about the journal as well. I'm enjoying doing these posts because they're helping me learn about a lot of new journals or journals that I had heard of or maybe not known a lot about. It helped too when I looked up more about that flea market. It's true that where a piece appears can frame our reading of it. I think that writers often have to sell a story to get it to fit a venue especially now with so many theme issues out there, and, yet, on its own, a story can be read in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete